Jun 18, 2012

Falling Into Rhythm

 As the nights fall into days, and the days fall into weeks, I have fallen into a gentle rhythm here on Jackel Island.  I can feel the beat of the island and I flow with it.  Waking to the symphony of birds each morning, I feel a heightened sense of everything, the feel of shower water on my skin, the smell of the sea air with all its rich foliage, the awe of blue and white and yellow and violet flowers in the fields where the wild horses graze, orange and pink sunrises, the weight of humidity that lingers in the air and fills it, the taste of food where each sensation, sweet–sour–bitter–salty, is amplified, the mournful call of seagulls by day and merbau crickets at night, and the tropical sun tingling and dancing in my pours...  I can no longer imagine not living on Jackel Island.  I want to stay here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment