Jun 25, 2012

Joel

Joel was an enigma to me.  Like Kane and Tariq, Tom’s twin kept mostly to himself.  Only a good eye would be able to tell Tom and Joel apart in a photograph.  Seeing either of them move or change facial muscles was a dead give–away, as they held and carried themselves radically differently.  Tom was animated and gregarious; Joel was subdued and an introvert.  I used to think that Joel was a bit cold and aloof and I worried for his only son, Derek, but I later learned that with Joel, it was just shyness.  I could now see a sweet side to Joel which was passed to Derek by blood, only Derek didn’t know enough to hide this quality in himself yet.  Being sweet was not manly, or at least Joel didn’t think so, apparently.
Joel
Joel was an absolute genius with computers and anything mechanical.  He took apart and fixed my Nook.  When he handed the tablet back to me, Joel asked me something I’ll never forget.
Listen, ahh… if anything were to ever happen to me and my brother… heaven forbid I mean, could you look after my son?  He takes to you, and you’re so good with him.
I was proudly astounded, though I wondered why his offer wasn’t passed to Joel’s wife, or his father.
“Why Joel, of course I will.  I don’t take this lightly.  I… I’m touched that you asked me this.” 
The whole time we spoke, Joel stared at the tablet that each of us held between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment