Jun 6, 2012

Last Night's Feast (first dinner on the island)

First Dinner on the Island
June 6, 2012
Wow, what a feast we had last night!  I met Tariq, our chef.  He's always yelling for people to get out of his way.  Then he put on this amazing dinner:
We had babi guling, Balinese–style roast pork, along with cakalang fufu – grilled smoked tuna skipjack fish stuck on bamboo.  Darcy confided to me that this all this was unusual, that all this was done in my honor, seeing I'd just arrived.  Instead of potatoes like we’d have back home, Tariq had prepared nasi kuning, a rice dish cooked with coconut milk.  In a large turquoise dish was gado-gado, a mixture of vegetables, crackers and rice with peanut flavored sauce.  Jeremy called it salad.  I did not try the sambal goreng teri because Darcy told me it was spicy salted anchovy with peanuts.  She didn’t eat it either, as anchovies are rather nasty things.  I loaded my plate with fruits – water apple, mango, banana and jackfruit.  We washed it down with teh botol (bottled tea).  Dessert was pretty – jello-like squares of red, green and yellow clusters called cendil, a flour-based sweet rice dish cake, molded and colored, served with fresh grated coconut.
Half–way through the meal, Tom stood and said words to welcome me.  The others clunked their tea bottles, and I smiled and nodded, hiding my self–consciousness.  When I feel uncertain, I can hide emotions from people, but not from horses.  Horses can always tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment