Jun 12, 2012

Meeting Dr. Bronte

The horse and I rode through the jungle's thick garden of bengal bamboo, wild eucalyptus, and silk–cotton trees under a canopy of foliage.  The sun streaked through from the sky, riding on rays of mist.  I rode eastward at least a couple of miles until we had come to a field that stretched out for miles towards low silver–blue mountains, where I dismounted and let my pony drink from a creek.
As I stood in the field, I saw wild horses in the distance, and I stood staring at them for a few moments.
I believe they are przewalski horses.  I zipped around.  Standing before me was a royal man, as if he’d be a prince or a king if it were another time.  He stood squinting his eyes from the sun as he tilted his head at me.  The suddenness and firm nature of his presence caused my heart to race.  How had I not heard him?  I just stood there with my mouth open, waiting for my heart to calm down
I’m afraid they’re very rare and very endangered, he said.
I finally closed my mouth and leaned my head back a bit, studying this man.  His lips were firm, a lawyer’s lip, and he had square green eyes that danced with life.  He looked to me to be in his late thirties.  He had brown hair, the kind you could tell was lighter when he was a boy. He was dressed smartly in white khaki’s and a sky–blue button–down shirt, clashing with the relaxed land.  He held himself sharply and distinctly.
Excuse me, who are you?” I asked.
He smiled with his lips pressed together, a condescending smile.  He looked to the ground, but only for a second.
These animals are native to central Asia, specifically China and Mongolia.  How they ended up here on this island I have no clue.  And I would like to ask the same of you.  Who are you?  You’re not supposed to be here.
This man had to be from the research department, as I must have been close to their compound.  I simply stared at him, this man who stood firmly, still wondering how he had snuck up on me undetected.
Are we playing a staring game?” he asked me.
“Excuse me?”
You shouldn’t be here,” he whispered.
Why not?” I whispered back, mocking.  I’d leaned forward a bit when I spoke.
He looked down the clearing.  His hair moved in the wind.  The security boundary line is clearly marked.  You people from Main Campus aren’t to cross the line.  He looked back at me.  Did you not see the markings?”
You’re from research?
Did you not see the markings?”
Are you from research?”
He smiled, but only  for a moment.
Yes, I work in the research department.
You’re not the main guy, are you?” I asked.
Main guy?”  He smiled, his lips pressed.  No.
I was relieved.  From what I had heard from Darcy, Jeremy, and the others, Bronte was a monster.  This guy who now stood before me was simply odd.  So what’s with the main guy, Bronte?” I asked.
Dr. Bronte?”
Yes, Dr. Bronte, the guy you work for, right?” I said.  What’s up with him?”
What is it you want to know about him?”
Is he… is he as… The man tilted his head to further read me.  Just what’s up with him?”
I’m not sure I follow you.
Is he like… a bad ass?”
A bad ass?”  The research man was amused.  How so?”  He laughed under his breath.
Well, I don’t know for sure.  I just heard.  I never met the guy.  I’m… new here.”
If you never met him, how would you know?”  I looked out into the field.  You really don’t want to cross Dr. Bronte.  If he catches you crossing the boundary line, well, it wouldn’t go too well for you.
What do you mean?” I quickly asked without moving my lips.
He’s been known to lock people in his lab and do biochemical testing on them.
No way!  That’s illegal!  He wouldn’t… No way.  Would he?”
The man nodded, raising his eyebrows.
You’re kidding me.  You’ve got to be kidding me.  I know you’re kidding me.
The man shook his head, his eyebrows still raised.  I looked at him, expecting him to laugh, but he didn’t.  He looked dead serious.  Oh my God, what the others said about Bronte was true, that he was dangerous, possibly evil.  I didn’t know the extent of his maliciousness.
I don’t believe you,” I said, trying to hide my doubt.  But he just gave me a steady grave look.  I swallowed.  He locks people in his lab?”  The man gave several quick faint nods.  Biochemical testing?”  The quick nods came again along with his deadpan stare.  I think I need to go now,” I said softly.
Okay,” he whispered back.

No comments:

Post a Comment