Jun 14, 2012

Adrian's Warning


Adrian asked me where I had seen the wild horses.
"Over in the fields by the research center.
Adrian’s face dropped.  Over in the fields by the research center? he repeated.  My face sobered to match his.  I was sitting on my horse.  Jamie, you’re not to go over there.  My horse, sensing my tension, hoofed the path.  I mean it.  I’m telling you to stay away from the research center.  Do you hear me?”
I hear you.  I’m sorry.
He bounced his index finger at me twice, then turned to the calcutta cane.  
Ten minutes ago, I was taking a horse ride through the woods when I came across Adrian cutting cane with an ax.
Adrian –
Hmm?”  He didn’t look up.
I met the research assistant.
Hmm?”  Adrian stopped with the cane and turned to me.  Who?  Which one?”
I didn’t get his name.
Big older guy?” he asked.
“Not particularly.”
“Was he a goofy looking guy?”
No, not at all.  Adrian creased his eyebrows.  He warned me against Dr. Bronte.  He said that if Dr. Bronte caught me in their area, he’d lock me in his lab and do scientific experiments on me.
Adrian looked at me dumb–founded for a second, then let go a laugh.  That’s ridiculous.  He’s pulling your leg.
I don’t know.  He seemed pretty serious.
Oh Jamie,” he laughed.  I’m afraid this research assistant has a twisted sense of humor and has pulled a fast one on you.  Adrian’s smile faded.  But listen carefully to me now, you are not to go over there again, okay?”
Okay, okay.  I won’t.
Jamie, I mean it.
But I was already trotting off.
 
At night in my cabin, I pondered over what the strange man told me about his boss, and decided that Dr. Evan Bronte was a person to avoid, lest I end up in his lab brain dead.  Were all the people who worked in research creepy?

No comments:

Post a Comment