Jun 17, 2012

Kane and his "Religion"

Yesterday morning I watched the air turned from black to silver to gold as I headed through the path towards the ocean, feeling the dew from the jambu bush and red wax ginger as I brushed my fingers along their leaves.   When I heard the ax, I knew Kane was around the corner.  Kane was forever chopping wood for our nightly campfires.  He says chopping wood is meditative for him.
Kane
Kane doesn't speak much, and spends much of his time alone.  He's from Mauritiu, an island nation off the south coast of Africa.  He speaks with some kind of accent I can't place... not quite British or French... I just can't place it.
Kane is an unusually large man, with mild African features, and he has a hint of slanted eyes that holds a fixed piercing gaze.  He looks almost Egyptian.  Kane is strong and soft at the same time, intense and mild, keen and fluid.
Adrian told me that chopping wood is Kane's religion.  This confused me.  I asked Kane what his religion was.  He said he followed the Odiwanchi way.  I asked what that was.
It is a religion of non-religions.  It is where a person learns to hear their heart, to see with their inward eye.  Though there are countless claims, no one person knows all things.  Every religion is a thought or an interpretation that comes from a person, a human being.  Sometimes, this thought is shared and believed by millions of people.  Every person is on a different path.  One person cannot tell another person the truth, though he can tell him his own truth.  Truth must come from within each person.  It is not something that is told or taught, but self-discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment